- 30g butter
- 450g minced veal or beef
- 30g onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 125ml white wine
- 250ml prepared tomato sauce or passata
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 50g grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 leg of lamb, boned and flattened
- Preheat the oven to 150C°/gas 2.
- Melt half the butter in a heavy frying pan.
- Add the minced meat, onion and garlic and brown lightly.
- Pour the wine into the pan slowly and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce or passata, dill and parsley and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Wipe the lamb with damp kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the minced meat mixture on to the lamb and roll up carefully with the minced meat inside.
- Use skewers to fasten the lamb securely or tie with string.
- Melt the remaining butter in a medium-size roasting tin.
- Add the lamb and brown over a medium heat.
Bake for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. (If the tin gets dry, add 2 or 3 tablespoons water)